Grain & Dairy Free Lasagna Recipe
Lasagna was a favorite entree in Julia’s Italian-American family. This dairy- and grain-free version accommodates her new dietary requirements while maintaining traditional flavors.
Chris Loves Julia | chrislovesjulia.com
Prep Time: 30 min.
Cook Time: 1 hr. 25 min.
Total Time: 1 hr. 55 min.
2 lbs. ground Italian sausage
garlic cloves, whole, peeled, smashed
3 sprigs fresh oregano
2 sprigs fresh thyme
2 28-oz. cans San Marzano Strianese Tomatoes
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
2 tsp orange zest
1/4 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
2 tsp World Market® Ground Allspice
2 tbsp sugar
1 large carrot
5 large Russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
salt & pepper to taste
2 cups cashew-based yogurt alternative
2/3 cup nutritional yeast
1 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 pinch World Market® Ground Nutmeg*
1. In medium pot, brown the Italian sausage, breaking it up into fine pieces. Add the smashed garlic cloves, oregano, and thyme. Sweat for 2 minutes.
2. Add the crushed tomatoes, orange zest, orange juice, allspice, sugar and carrot. Stir to combine, and simmer for 30 minutes with an offset lid.
3. In a pot of boiling water, blanch the potatoes for 2 minutes and then submerge into a large bowl of ice water. Once cooled, lay out on paper towels in a single layer and cover until ready to be used.
4. Make the “cheese” sauce by whisking together the cashew yogurt, nutritional yeast, salt, sugar, 1 tsp. black pepper and nutmeg.
5. Finish the sauce by removing the garlic cloves, herb stems and carrot. Stir in the fresh chopped basil and remove from heat.
6. Build the lasagna in a lasagna pan by first adding a thin layer of sauce in the bottom. Top with a single layer of thinly sliced potatoes. Use a spatula to cover with cheese sauce, then another layer of the red sauce. Repeat until the pan is full, ending with cheese sauce on top.
7. Cover with tin foil, and bake at 375° F for 45 minutes. Remove the foil, increase the heat to 425°, and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.