Vegan Bourbon Cupcakes Recipe
In this dairy-free recipe, pumpkin gets a boozy boost of bourbon. The maple in the frosting adds extra seasonal flavor to these moist cupcakes.
By Megan Horowitch | @shortgirltallorder
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cook Time: 17-19 min.
Total Time: 37-39 min.
1 2/3 cup pastry flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup Torani Pumpkin Pie Syrup
2 tbsp bourbon
1/2 cup oat milk (any plant-based milk works)
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp oil (olive oil or vegetable oil works best)
1 cup vegan butter
3 tbsp Wild4 Pure Vermont Cinnamon Vanilla Maple Syrup
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup Sugar Plum Maple Bourbon Pecans (crumbled or crushed for topping)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Line muffin tin with cupcake liners.
3. In a small mixing bowl, sift together the pastry flour, baking powder, salt, pumpkin pie spice and baking soda. Set aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl, add in all the remaining wet ingredients including the canned pumpkin puree, sugar, Torani Pumpkin Pie syrup, Bourbon, oat milk, vanilla extract and oil. Whisk together to combine.
5. Add the bowl of sifted dry ingredients to the bowl of wet ingredients and mix just until a thick batter forms and no large streaks of flour remain. Don’t overmix.
6. Use a cookie scoop or ladle to fill each muffin liner with batter until it is about ⅔ full.
7. Tap the pan on the counter right before baking to release any large air bubbles.
8. Bake at 350°F for 17-19 minutes.
9. Remove cupcakes from the pan immediately and cool on a wire cooling rack before frosting.
1. Add the vegan butter to a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until fluffy and creamy (about 2 min.). Then, add in the maple syrup and beat together another 30 secs.
2. Gradually add in the powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time and whip into the frosting. Once all the powdered sugar has been added, whip the frosting for another 2-3 min. until white and fluffy.
3. Refrigerate the frosting for 10-15 min. before piping.
4. To pipe the frosting, add to a large piping bag and pipe evenly onto each cupcake.
5. Top each cupcake with the crumbled maple bourbon pecan pieces. Serve and enjoy!