No-Churn Strawberry Ice Cream Recipe
What better way to cool off on a hot day than with homemade ice cream? Roasting the berries is worth the time; it brings out their rich flavor.
By Kristan Raines | the-broken-bread.com
Prep Time: 30 min.
Cook Time: 20 min.
Total Time: 1 day
1 lb strawberries, hulls removed
1 vanilla bean
2 tbsp light brown sugar
pinch kosher salt
2 cups cold heavy cream
1 14 oz. can of condensed milk
1. Heat oven to 420°F. Depending on the size of the strawberries, either cut them in half or quarter them and place in a medium bowl.
2. Split the vanilla bean in half and remove the seeds by using the dull side of a knife to scrape them out. Add vanilla bean seeds to the bowl along with the sugar and kosher salt. Mix everything together and transfer the strawberries to a lined baking sheet.
3. Roast the strawberries for 20 minutes, or until soft, and until the juices begin to look a little syrupy. Remove the berries from the oven and let cool to room temperature.
4. Place the condensed milk and strawberries in a large bowl and mix to combine; set aside. Add the heavy cream and a pinch of salt to the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and beat until stiff peaks form.
5. Add a small amount of the whipped cream to the bowl with the berries and gently mix together to lighten the mixture. Add the remaining whipped cream to the bowl and gently fold into the berries until just combined. Pour the mixture into a 1.5qt capacity sealable container and place in the freezer overnight or until frozen.
6. When ready to enjoy, remove the ice cream and let sit at room temperature for a few minutes until soft enough to serve. Enjoy!