Spanish-Style Roasted Pepper and Chorizo Strata Recipe
Layers of flavor come to life in every bite of this essential brunch dish.
By World Market Editorial | worldmarket.com
Prep Time: 45 min.
Cook Time: 60 min.
Total Time: 1 hr. 45 min.
1 tbsp World Market® Brand Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 white or yellow onion, diced
1 package Palacios Hot Chorizo Sausage, diced
1 lb. loaf sourdough bread, crusts removed, cut into 1” cubes (about 7 cups cubes)
1/2 jar Mezzetta Roasted Red Bell Peppers, drained and chopped
2 cups heavy cream
1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled, plus more for greasing
6 large eggs
1 1/2 cups grated Manchego cheese, divided
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
2 tbsp chopped Italian parsley, divided
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
diced ripe heirloom tomato, for serving
1. Grease a deep 9” x 13” baking dish.
2. Heat olive oil in a skillet. Add the onion and sauté until onion is softened and translucent, about 5 to 8 minutes. Add chorizo and cook until fat is rendered, about 7 minutes. Remove pan from heat and allow to cool slightly.
3. Arrange the bread cubes in the baking pan. Sprinkle with the chorizo and roasted bell peppers.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together the cream, melted butter, eggs, salt and pepper. Stir in half the Manchego, Parmesan and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Pour egg mixture over the bread mixture in the baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Butter one side of a large piece of tin foil and cover the bread mixture tightly. Refrigerate at least overnight and up to 2 days.
6. When ready to bake, bring the strata to room temperature and preheat the oven to 325° F.
7. Bake the strata covered with foil for about 45 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for another 15 minutes, or until cheese is golden brown and bubbly. Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes before serving topped with chopped tomato and remaining parsley.