French Eggs Benedict Recipe
The classic egg dish goes French with brie, asparagus and prosciutto atop the pièce de résistance, a flaky croissant.
By Breanna Reaume | @chefbreskitchen
Prep Time: 25 min.
Cook Time: 20 min.
Total Time: 45 min.
4 croissants, store bought or homemade
8 oz brie cheese, sliced
8 slices of prosciutto
bunch of asparagus, stalks trimmed
1/4 cup white vinegar
4 egg yolks
1/2 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Bring a pot of water to a boil. When close to boiling, add the vinegar to help keep the eggs in place for a perfect poach.
3. Carefully pour each egg into the water.
4. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes until the egg white is set but the yolk is still runny.
5. Use a slotted spoon to remove the egg from the water onto a paper towel-lined plate. Set eggs aside.
6. Steam asparagus by pouring a couple inches of water into a large pot and place a steamer basket inside. Bring the water to a boil, then add asparagus to the basket.
7. Cover the pot with lid and steam for about 3 to 5 minutes (depending on thickness of the asparagus). Remove asparagus from pot and set aside.
8. To make the hollandaise sauce, add egg yolks to a heat-safe bowl and whisk together for a couple minutes.
9. Add the lemon juice to the yolks and vigorously whisk until the mixture has thickened and doubled in size.
10. Place the bowl over a saucepan filled with simmering water, ensuring the water is shallow enough that it does not touch the bottom of the bowl.
11. Slowly add in the butter, while constantly whisking for several minutes until the mixture is nice and thick.
12. Remove from heat, add salt and whisk again.
13. Cut croissants in half lengthwise and place on a baking sheet and into the oven for about 4 minutes until just toasted. Remove from oven and set aside.
14. To assemble the Eggs Benedict, top each croissant half with brie cheese, a few asparagus spears, prosciutto and a poached egg. Then spoon the hollandaise over the egg and serve.