Pane Rustico Recipe
Pair this rustic bread with a hearty stew. Or try it toasted and topped with cream cheese and sun-dried tomatoes for a scrumptious snack or app.
Prep Time: 30 min.
Cook Time: 45 min.
Total Time: 10 hrs.
430g bread flour
80g whole wheat flour
230g all-purpose flour
6g active dry yeast
17g Kosher salt
1. Combine bread flour, whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour and water in a large mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly and cover with a towel. Let dough rest for 1 hour.
2. Add salt and yeast and knead dough for 5 minutes.
3. Stretch and fold dough about 3-4 times. Let dough rest for 30 minutes.
4. Stretch and fold dough again for 3 minutes. Dough should be a bit bubbly; be gentle to avoid degassing it.
5. Cover dough and put into an oven with the oven light on. Let sit for 2.5 hours.
6. Gently place dough onto a floured work surface; stretch and fold the dough one last time.
7. Gently fold dough on top of itself to form a shoelace pattern. Add to a proofing basket dough side up.
8. Cover dough and refrigerate for 3 hours.
9. Preheat the oven to 450° F.
10. Put Dutch oven in the oven for 30 minutes.
11. Remove dough from the refrigerator and add to Dutch oven. Cover with lid and bake for 30 minutes.
12. After baking for 30 minutes, remove the lid and increase temperature to 500° F. Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes.
13. Allow bread to cool for 1 hour.