Chicken & Waffles With Sriracha Honey Recipe
In this chicken & waffles recipe, Sriracha-honey dipping sauce adds an irresistible kick of sweet heat to the ultimate Southern-style comfort food.
By World Market Editorial
Prep Time: 30 min., plus 8-24 hr.
Cook Time: 15 min.
Total Time: 8 hr. 45 min.
2 pounds chicken breast
1 onion, sliced
2 cups buttermilk
2 cups (280 g) all-purpose flour
1 tsp onion powder
1 tbsp plus 1 tsp paprika
2 tsp cayenne pepper
5 rosemary sprigs, leaves picked and chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp baking powder
6 cups neutral, high-heat oil for deep-frying (like canola)
1/4 cup honey
2 tbsp sriracha
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1. Cut chicken breasts into smaller pieces, to fit nicely on top of the mini waffles cut into about 2-in x 2-in pieces.
2. Combine buttermilk, sliced onion, rosemary, thyme, 1 tsp cayenne, 1 tsp paprika in a large bowl. Marinate chicken in buttermilk mixture for 8 hours or overnight.
3. Whisk together the flour, black pepper, salt, baking powder and remaining paprika and cayenne in a bowl. Remove your chicken from the buttermilk mixture and generously coat both sides with the flour.
4. Place a cooling rack on a sheet pan lined with paper towels. Then, heat oil in a pan to 350°F for deep-frying. Add a few chicken pieces without crowding the pan. Cook, turning the pieces occasionally, until they are cooked through, 10-12 minutes depending on their size.
5. Remove and place on your cooling rack and allow them to rest for 5 minutes before assembling.
Mini Waffles and Sriracha Sauce Directions:
1. While the chicken is cooking, make mini waffles according to My Favorite Pancake And Waffle Mix instructions using the Dash Red Mini Nonstick Waffle Maker.
2. Make the sriracha honey dipping sauce by mixing honey, sriracha and lemon juice in a small bowl until combined.
3. To assemble, place waffles on a serving board or plate, stack fried chicken on top and secure with a skewer, then drizzle with sriracha honey.