Savory Breakfast Tart Recipe
With a generous helping of traditional Mexican cheese, spices and peppers, this easy-make, puff-pastry tart is the most flavorful way to start your day.
By Shanna Schad | pineappleandcoconut.com
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cook Time: 25 min.
Total Time: 35 min.
1 rectangular sheet of puff pastry
1 cup shredded Jack Cheese
5 eggs, 1 reserved for egg wash
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
roasted red bell pepper strips
Garnish: avocado, cilantro, cotija cheese or queso fresco
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Roll out 1 sheet of puff pastry onto a piece of parchment paper to about 8" x 11" or 9" x 12", depending on brand of puff pastry used, size will vary.
3. Score the puff pastry with a knife to make a 1/2" edge, being careful not to cut all the way through the pastry. Lightly prick the middle all over with a fork. Whisk 1 egg with 1 tablespoon water and brush the edges of the puff pastry with the egg wash.
4. Spoon some of the salsa into the middle of the pastry then bake for 10 minutes. Check the pastry while baking to make sure none of the middle is puffing up. If so, lightly poke with a fork to deflate.
5. Remove from the oven and, working quickly, add more salsa all over the pastry, sprinkle with shredded jack cheese leaving four wells for eggs. Crack one egg into each well. Season with salt, pepper and oregano. Sprinkle jalapeños and roasted red pepper strips over the top. Brush the edges again with egg wash. Return to the oven and bake another 12-14 minutes or until egg whites are just set and yolks are done to your liking. Closer to 12 minutes for runnier yolks, 14-16 minutes for more well done yolks.
6. Remove from the oven and transfer the puff pastry to a cutting board. Garnish with sliced avocado, sprigs of cilantro and sprinkle with cotija cheese.
7. Serve hot with hot sauce.