Lodge Cast Iron Griddle Pan Strawberry Galette Recipe
This Strawberry Galette never fails to impress. It’s beautiful, delicious and (dare we say) Insta-worthy. We’ll never tell your guests how easy it was.
By World Market Editorial | worldmarket.com
Prep Time: 3 hrs.
Cook Time: 40 min.
Total Time: 3 hrs. 40 min.
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into ¾ in. pieces
3 tbsp cold vegetable shortening, cut into ¾ in. pieces
2 1/3 cups fresh strawberries, rinsed, patted dry and sliced in half
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tsp corn starch
1 1/2 tsp grated orange zest
1 tsp grated lemon zest
1 tsp vanilla extract, divided
2 tbsp heavy cream
2 tbsp slivered almonds
fresh whipped cream or crème fraiche, for serving
1. To make the dough in a food processor, combine the flour, sugar and salt in the bowl fitted with the blade attachment. Pulse to combine. Add the pieces of the butter and shortening and pulse until reduced to ½” pieces.
2. Add the water a little at a time and pulse until the dough just begins to come together.
3. Remove the dough to a work surface and shape into a 12” disk.
4. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 2 hours.
5. Preheat oven to 400°F.
6. Working on a clean, dry, flat surface, dust the baking sheet and rolling pin with flour. Roll out chilled pastry dough into a 13” round about 1/8” thick.
7. Lift and turn the dough as necessary and dust the surface and rolling pin with flour as needed to prevent sticking.
8. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
9. In a large bowl, toss the berries with sugar, corn starch, zests, and vanilla extract.
10. Uncover dough and transfer to a well-seasoned Lodge Cast Iron Griddle Pan.
11. Pile berry mixture in the center of dough, leaving a 3” border uncovered.
12. Fold the dough up and over the berries, pleating the folds, leaving the berries exposed in the center.
13. Brush the dough with cream, sprinkle with almonds and bake for 40 minutes.
14. Remove, let cool for 5 minutes, slice and serve with fresh whipped cream or crème fraiche.