Italian Dolce: Fig Cannoli Recipe
We're offering a Fig Cannoli recipe that combines the Italians' love of pastry with their ability to use seasonal bounty in a variety of ways.
By World Market Editorial | worldmarket.com
Prep Time: 90 min.
Cook Time: 60 min. chill
Total Time: 2.5 hr.
2 cups chopped figs (6 to 8 large figs)
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp balsamic glaze
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
2 cups whole milk ricotta, drained (see directions)
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 tsp allspice
pinch of ground pepper
zest of 1 orange
1/4 cup heavy cream
1. Drain the ricotta in a strainer lined with cheese cloth over a bowl, drain at least 1 hour. While the ricotta is draining start the fig compote.
2. In a small sauce pan, mix the chopped figs, balsamic vinegar, sugar, and black pepper. Simmer on low until the figs are very soft and the mixture thickens like jam. Chill in refrigerator until cannoli cream is ready.
3. Whisk the ricotta in a bowl until smooth, and the powdered sugar, spices, and orange zest, whisk until combined. Whip the cream until stiff peaks form and gently fold the cream into the ricotta mixture.
4. Chill filling for 1 hour. Once the cream has chilled and you are ready to fill and serve the cannoli, gently swirl the fig compote into the cream.
5. Fill the cannoli shells using a pastry bag, filling from both ends.