Hot Cocoa Brownie Cups Recipe
Cozy up to rich, chewy brownie cups filled with chocolate ganache and topped with marshmallows.
By Elizabeth LaBau | sugarhero.com
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cook Time: 15 min.
Total Time: 1 hr. 30 min.
6 oz. milk chocolate chips
6 fl. oz. heavy cream
1/4 cup hot cocoa mix
package Peppermint Bark Brownie Mix
4 oz. unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 large eggs, at room temperature
crushed peppermint candy
giant marshmallow sheet
1. The hot cocoa ganache filling needs time to cool and thicken, so prepare first. Combine the milk chocolate chips, heavy cream, and hot cocoa mix in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds and whisk well. Microwave for an additional 20-30 seconds and whisk until the chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is smooth.
2. Press a layer of plastic wrap directly on top of the chocolate ganache. Let it sit at room temperature for at least 8 hours to thicken, or in the refrigerator for about 60-90 minutes. For the easiest assembly, it should have a soft, spoonable texture, like peanut butter.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
4. Combine brownie mix, butter and eggs in the bowl of a large stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until the ingredients are combined, then scrape down the bottom and sides of the bowl. Mix on medium speed for 2 minutes.
5. Divide the batter into 10 muffin cups. (You can make 12 brownie cups if you’d like, they’ll just be a little smaller and shorter. You can also make mini brownie cups using a mini muffin pan instead.) Bake for 15 minutes, then take the pan out of the oven and give it a few firm taps on the counter. The brownies should fall in the center, creating a concave brownie cup. Return to the oven to bake for 5 more minutes, until firm around the edges but still soft in the center.
6. Once the brownies are out of the oven, gently press the back of a tablespoon into the middle of each brownie cup to enlarge the center. Cool completely, then run a thin knife or small metal spatula around the edge and pop out the brownie cups.
7. Transfer the hot cocoa ganache to a piping bag fitted with a round tip or a plastic bag with a hole cut in the corner. Fill the brownie cups with a generous amount of hot cocoa filling. Sprinkle the top of each cup with the candy cane pieces that came in the brownie mix.
8. Use a small cookie cutter to cut stars or snowflakes out of the marshmallow sheet. Top each brownie cup with a marshmallow. For the best taste and texture, enjoy at room temperature.