Coconut Macaroon Easter Nests Recipe
Easter is hopping up and we're ready to celebrate! These cute little macaroon nests hold mini chocolate eggs and make a fun springtime dessert.
By Kristan Raines | the-broken-bread.com
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cook Time: 20 min.
Total Time: 1 hr.
Servings: 12 nests
14 oz bag shredded coconut
3 large egg whites
1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp coconut sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1 bag mini Easter chocolate eggs
3/4 cup caramel sauce, optional
1. Preheat oven to 325°F degrees and line baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl add egg whites, coconut sugar, salt and vanilla. Whisk by hand or with a hand mixer until sugar has dissolved and the mixture is slightly frothy, about 2-3 min.
3. Add shredded coconut to the egg white mixture and fold together with a wooden spoon or spatula until combined.
4. Scoop a dozen balls (about two heaping tbsp each) onto the baking sheet about 1-2 inches apart.
5. Gently press your thumb into the center of each ball to create the nest.
6. Bake the nests for about 20 min, rotating the tray halfway through, until macaroons are lightly golden brown.
7. Let the macaroons cool completely on the baking sheet before removing.
8. If using caramel, place a small dollop in each macaroon and decorate with chocolate eggs. If not using caramel, simply top with chocolate eggs and enjoy! Macaroon nests (without caramel) will keep in an airtight container for up to a week.