They say if you can brew a cup of tea, you can make absinthe. This Bootleg Botanicals Absinthe Infusion Kit’s step by step process was just as simple as that—and the outcome was a whole lot more potent. Part-lab experiment and part-exercise in trust, I was uncertain what the final results would hold while observing the murky stages of infusion. Sure enough, when the final vial of brewing ingredients were added in, colors began to shift and eventually revealed a slightly emerald-hued glimmer of hope. Spirit-making was a success!
If pouring absinthe over a sugar cube is not your idea of cocktail hour, you can start by celebrating this old-time spirit with a classic 1930’s cocktail such as The Corpse Reviver #2! Not as deadly as its name suggests, this drink was actually created as a day after “hair of the dog” libation cure. We prefer to think of it as a classy cocktail best enjoyed at the end of the night—in style.
Absinthe Cocktail Kit Directions
BREW TIME: 26 hours
- Purchase a Bottle of Everclear and a large air-tight container (such as a mason jar)
- Combine 2 cups of Everclear and ¼ cup water into a resealable jar.
- Add Bootleg’s Absinthe Base Infusion Spice #1 to the liquid and shake well.
- Let the botanicals brew for 8-10 hours.
- Add a tea bag of Grand Wormwood (inside Vial #2) to liquid and shake vigorously. Let sit for another 2-3 hours.
- Remove spice bag and let spice mixtures brew for an additional 10-12 hours.
- Add contents of vial #2 and brew for 5 hours, or until desired taste and color is achieved.
- Filter liquid using provided kit filter and funnel into the provided dark colored bottle. Enjoy!