Decorated carrot cupcakes with cute designs seem to be an Easter dessert staple, so lifestyle blogger Shanna Schad made her own version exclusively for Cost Plus World Market with egg nests, candy carrots decorations, and loads of spice.
- Prep time: 15 mins
- Cook time: 15 mins
- Total time: 30 mins
- Serves: 24
For the Cupcakes
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup sour cream, room temp
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs, room temp
- 2 1/2 cups finely shredded carrots
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
For the Frosting
- 2 sticks butter
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
For the Decoration
- 1 cup finely shredded coconut, toasted
- Pastel chocolate covered almonds
- Orange chocolate covered sunflower seeds
- Haribo green apple gummy candy, cut into strips
1. Prepare two muffin pans with paper cupcake liners and preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, spices, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl mix together the sugar, sour cream and oil; mix well. Add in each egg one at a time and mix well after each addition. Fold in the shredded carrots and chocolate chips.
4. Scoop batter into each cupcake well, filling about 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 15-16 minutes or until tops bounce back when lightly pressed. Let cool in pan for 3 minutes and then carefully remove to wire rack to cool completely.
5. Make the frosting and assemble by:
- Combining all the frosting ingredients in a bowl and mix until well combined.
- Using a pastry bag fitted with an open start tip, pipe a large swirl of frosting around the tops of each cupcake and either carefully roll the edges in the toasted coconut or sprinkle the coconut on top. Place 2 pastel chocolate almonds in the middle for an *eggs in a nest* effect or arrange chocolate covered sunflower seeds in the shape of a carrot and arrange a few gummy candy strips for the carrot leaves. Keep refrigerated in an airtight container until ready to serve. Serve at room temperature.
Read more about this recipe on Shanna's blog, Pineapple & Coconut.
This recipe kicks it up a notch with flavorful spices and Easter-themed decorations.